Saturday, October 2, 2010

Fear Experiment

Fear comes from the unknown. For this project I wanted to experiment with having people not know something. My plan was to bring in a balloon and stand up front and pop it. But I was the only one who knew when it was going to be popped. This type of thing makes me very nervous cause I think the loud pop will make me jump and since I can't anticipate the pop it makes me afraid of it. I hypothesized that it would make people nervous. Unfortunately, someone else in the class had a similar idea to mine and what I was going to do actually got discussed after she did her experiment. That is, not knowing when the next pop was going to be. Basically I just ended up randomly popping mine balloon amidst all the chaos that was going on and it made a few people jump a bit. I don't think being startled like that really counts as fear. Maybe if you were afraid of being startled that would be a fear but being startled itself is not a fear in my opinion. I think if I had done the experiment the way I planned I could have succeeded in making people fearful. If I were to do the experiment I would have had people blindfolded and then performed the experiment. That would have blocked the sense of sight making people know even less about what was going to happen.
The experiment that had the most impact for me was the mouse one. I think I've only seen a real mouse once or twice in my whole life. So I've definitely never held one. When I first saw it I was somewhat afraid of it cause it was small and fast. It made me even more nervous when I heard it was gonna get passed around. After holding the mouse it really wasn't as bad as I thought. It was kinda cool to actually conquer a fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment